Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cabbage and Collards in a Creamy Mustard Sauce

All is well in Vanessaland. Just got back from our vacation in Daytona Beach. Lots of fun in the sun and seafood! Gained 6 pounds but since being back I'm back on the wagon and working my plan. I'm 30 pounds down now. Slow and steady wins the race. looking forward to a skinnier me for my Hawaiian vacation next summer.

I made an awesome side dish last night that I just have to share! My inspiration was this soup recipe: Creamy Cabbage and Double Smoked Bacon Soup from Closet Cooking


Cabbage and Collards in a Creamy Mustard Sauce 

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 pound double smoked bacon (about 2 inches of a package I just sliced off the end)
1 cup onion (diced)
¾  cup carrot (diced)
¾  cup celery (diced)
4 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 small bunch collard greens (stems removed and chopped)
1 32 oz box chicken stock
1/2 small head cabbage (chopped)
½  teaspoon oregano
2  bay leaves
½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons grainy mustard

Directions: 
1. Render the fat from the bacon and cook until crisp. 
2. Add the butter, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute until soft. 
3. Add the collard greens, half of the stock, oregano, bay leaves, and pepper. 
4. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. 
5. Add the cabbage, the rest of the stock, and the salt, and simmer till the stock is almost gone and the cabbage is tender (about 30 minutes). 
6. Add mustard and cream and serve.


No comments: